2012年9月30日日曜日

Eating sawagani at Tachinomi Otokoya

Two nights ago, I was eating and drinking at one of my favorite standing bars (立呑おとこや), and a Japanese salaryman who I was talking to offered me one of these to try.



These little crabs are called sawagani (サワガニ 沢蟹) in Japanese.  These little crabs can be found everywhere in Japan.  

When they are cooked, they are deep-fried in oil and eaten whole.  They are usually with a lemon wedge or a wedge of sudachi (a small Japanese citrus fruit).  The taste is similar to soft-shell crabs. When first trying them, you think you are eating popcorn and not crab.  These are the popcorn shrimp of Japan.  If you are drinking beer, sake, or shochu, try these little crabs as an おつまめ otsumame (a bar snack). 

Here is a video of me eating one of these crabs.  Please enjoy!!



0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿